Saturday, November 1

Turtles and Caterpillars

DH went out to check the vegie garden while I had the kids in the bath this evening and found a turtle in the backyard. I was a bit worried about it at first, as last week a snake came into the yard and the dog killed it (and killed it very thoroughly- it was in three pieces, poor thing) so I thought she might have had a go at the turtle too. It was upside down and hiding in it's shell, but has now been rescued and is in a box behind me, with a towel and some water in a dish.
I can hear him scrabbling around in there, so he seems fine. We'll take him down to the river tomorrow and let him go.
He's a longneck turtle, much like this one-

I was just out checking the front vegies, as I've seen cabbage moths hanging around. They totally destroyed my broccoli last year, and I don't want them hurting my cauliflowers!
Anyway, I found about 20 of the damn caterpillars (and another bloody 28 spot ladybird!) and chucked them all into the box with the turtle. When I checked just before, they'd all disappeared... I hope he's eaten them! Either that or they've just squiggled themselves under the towel.
I guess we'll find out tomorrow when little turtle dude is relocated to his new home.

0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com