Saturday, November 8

Save the Strawberries! (And the Carrot Harvest)

I've tried to keep the dog out of the vegie garden, semi-successfully, but the slaters are still attacking the strawberries, so that out of the 50 plants out the back, we've gotten maybe three berries, and from the 10 plants out the front (in pots), we've gotten at least six.
SO! The plan is... dig up and pot all the strawberries out the back. Yes, all 50 of them!
In order to do this, I need all the pots I can get. The parsnip seedlings got planted, which freed up three pots, and three more with Roma tomato seedlings needed to be vacated, so I needed somewhere to plant them out. The solution- harvest all the carrots, and put the tomatoes in the carrot spot.
I originally planted 83 carrot seedlings, and used maybe 20 or so, which left me with 60-65ish carrots to pull up, wash, chop and freeze.
Zara decided to have a decent sleep, and it wasn't too hot outside, so Malachi and I went out the front and started pulling up the carrots. (Well, I pulled up carrots, Malachi rode his bike around and occasionally came over and pulled some leaves off a carrot plant).
Managed to get them all inside and in the sink before Zara woke up.

There were some pretty funky looking ones. Had to share this one-

And just to be immature... this one has a penis, tee hee hee...

Spent the rest of the day, whenever Zara let me, washing the carrots ready for chopping.

And by the end of the day, they were all chopped and in the freezer. Yay me.

And so since then I've been trying to rescue a few strawberry plants each afternoon. I've done 17 so far, LOL. 33 to go. Need to find more pots! And I've discovered that I'm mildly allergic to strawberry plants- I've come up with a rash along both arms after each potting expedition, just like a grass rash. Oh well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the carrot pics!
Shereen (Mama Chai @ JB)

Anonymous said...

wow look at all those carrots!!!

 
design by suckmylolly.com