Tuesday, November 25

Woohoo! Homeschooling Here We Come...

So after arguing and disagreeing with me for however long, DH has agreed (or 'accepted' at least) that we'll be homeschooling. Yay! Unfortunately the incident which I think may have prompted this was DH hearing that his daughter had been physically attacked (read: tackled to the ground and punched) by two boys at school, to which the teacher's response apparently was "Just ignore them..."

Malachi, Zara and I also went to the park today to meet with some other homeschoolers, to start a regular social group, which was also really positive. We've got a venue (playgroup hall- I'm on the playgroup committee), a day (Wednesday, as there isn't a Wed playgroup) and vague plans (sharing skills with the children- one woman said she'd do art stuff, I said I'd do cooking, someone's cousin runs a children's music program that we could do sessions at...). All in all, it was really positive, and the women seemed nice, even if one in particular had a somewhat *different* parenting style to mine...

We had some really positive chats about letting children learn things in their own time and in their own way, and I think we'll all see eye to eye on most issues.

The boy that we already knew through playgroup gave Malachi a hug when we left, which was cute, though Malachi was somewhat surprised and a bit unsure until I explained what B was doing!

Zara's the youngest at the moment, but B's mum is pregnant so there'll be another small one joining sometime next year.

So yay for first steps in creating a homeschooling community in which our children can learn safely, without pre-set ideas of what, when and how they should be learning!

1 comments:

Stephanie said...

Hi Rach, I found your blog through Beverley Paines web page. I am a homeschooling mum of teens who like you has followed a child centred approach to parenting.

I really enjoyed reading your blog and thought, if you were happy with it, I would add your blog to my homepage.

Let me know if that is ok

 
design by suckmylolly.com