Wednesday, December 10

Mixed Success With Onions

As the title says, I have had mixed success with my first go at onions. They were in the back vegie garden, which is on a slope, and they were right down the bottom. There is black plastic under part of it- left over from the smaller vegie garden which we expanded. Because of that, the drainage isn't great, and in some spots there's not much depth for root growth. I planted 67 brown onion seedlings, and 72 red onion seedlings, back in June. The back garden is being taken over by weeds and evil grass, and because I don't have that much time to get out there, and because we're planning on moving next year, I'm letting it go. Just trying to keep the grass and weeds at bay from the plants that are still in there. Some of the onions are as big as I'd like them some aren't, and some have hardly grown at all, and I decided to pull them out. I got all of the brown onions out this evening, and some of the red. So here's my partial onion harvest-


The cleaner-looking ones in the bottom right corner were pulled out about a week ago, the rest a few hours ago.

The two biggest are on the left, then the average size, then the smallest.

I think that with better conditions, onions will be an easy and rewarding thing to grow :)

1 comments:

Louise said...

Hi Rach,

I have just started blogging and came across yours, I read the whole thing and feel a little like a voyeur-

Anyway, my name is Louise, I am a pagan homeschooler and an ABA counsellor, a permaculture designer and mad vegie gardener so I just had to say hello.

Great blog

Blessings

Louise

 
design by suckmylolly.com