Sunday, October 19

Potatoes and Ladybirds

I'm fighting a battle at the moment. With ladybirds. 28 Spot Ladybirds, to be precise.

All the gardening books say that ladybirds are a gardener's best friend. Many kinds are. These bloody ones aren't! But I'll get to them later.

First, the potatoes.

This is the first season I've grown potatoes. I found an article in the paper, about 4 months ago, about growing potatoes in bins.

Make sure there are holes in the bottom of the garbage bins and sit them on bricks or stones so that drainage is not hindered.
Place the bin in a warm, sunny position and put about 15-20cm of compost mixed with old cow manure and some controlled-release fertiliser in the bottom. Place six seed potatoes (available from nurseries) on top of the mix and cover them with about 10cm of the compost-manure, plus a 2.5cm layer of straw mulch. Water regularly and, when the leafy stems rise about 20cm above the straw, add more of the compost-manure mix, leaving the tops of the leaves exposed.
This method ensures the plants keep making tubers up the stem. Continue until the container is full. New potatoes may be harvested about a month after the flowers have finished. For 'old' potatoes, wait until the leaves have dies completely. You will be surprised how many potatoes you can harvest from an old dustbin.
Here are mine:
I've got three bins going so far, as you can see, and they've all been going really well... until I saw on of these:Argh! They're eating the leaves, not too badly so far, but after checking up about them on ALS, they can do a fair bit of damage, not only to potatoes and related plants, but also to curcurbits. The potato bins aren't that far from my zucchinis, which are just getting their first flowers and little tiny zucchinis!

So the battle begins... they are NOT going to hurt my potatoes or my zucchinis!
I picked four off the potatoes today, but I can't bear to kill them, and if I let them go they'll just come back At the moment they're in a container on my kitchen bench... I'll taken them somewhere else and let them go tomorrow, I think.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow your potato bins look ace! You need some chooks so you have someone to feed the nasty bugs too LOL

Pagan Rach said...

Yep, the chooks will be one of the first things we do as soon as we get some land...

 
design by suckmylolly.com