Tuesday, February 2

I Love Op-Shops!

We have a brilliant Salvos shop here! It's sort-of behind the Salvation Army church in a shed, and is only open a few days a week, but I find so much excellent stuff there :D
I was after some new shorts for Malachi today and ended up with three pairs, plus a skirt for me (requiring minor alterations), a damn funky rainbow striped hat for Zara, and that '4 Ingredients' book, all for $5.40. Woo hoo!!
I'd take a pic but my camera batteries are dead and I haven't gotten around to buying new ones. I wish I had rechargeable one like my mum's new one. Oh well!

My Anti-Consumerism challenge is going well :) In the first month, the only point I failed on was 'no convenience food'... being out at the shops with hungry small people and no enough food led me to buy something quick for them to eat a few times. Better planning will avoid this!

My grocery budget is $350/month, and I'm happy to say that January came in at $306.89. We'll see how next month goes... the '4 Ingredients' book might help there :)

Here's a recipe that's been brilliant this month for saving money, and sooo yummy too. My small people both love it.

Honey Baked Lentils

1 cup dried green/brown lentils
2.5 cups water or stock
2 Tbs honey
2 Tbs tamari or soy sauce (kecap manis works well)
2 Tbs olive oil
1 medium brown onion, diced
Knob of ginger to taste, crushed
2 big cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp each cumin & chilli powder (I left the chilli out)

Bake in covered dish 160 degrees for 1.5 hours. Serve with rice. Easy as!

0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com