Saturday, January 16

ACC Day One- Farmers' Markets and a Handmade Gift

So today was the first official day of my anti-consumerism challenge. I needed to do grocery shopping and the local farmers' markets were on, so I got what I could there (which wasn't much, they are very small markets!) I was happy with some things- big pile of stonefruit for $6, local free range eggs for $4.80- but was very not happy about being charged $9 for a bunch of parsley, a small bag of beans and a bunch of bok choy... possibly getting vegetables at the market isn't quite within the budget at the moment.
The fruit and veg shop (yes, the only one in the whole town) is closed for the owners to have their holiday at the moment, so we had to do the rest of the shopping at the supermarket. I spent $90.09 there, plus $19.80 at the market, so $109.89 for a shopping which should last us the best part of two weeks, not including fruit top-ups and the like. Not bad I reckon!

The issue of handmade gifts has come up quickly, as one of Malachi's friends is having a fourth birthday party tomorrow. I came up with an idea for a present this afternoon, and made it tonight.

It's a little wall hanging with a appliqued truck on it, a ribbon border and (a bit hard to see in the photo) the child's name down the bottom. I think it's cool :)

1 comments:

Selene said...

Oh I love your truck hanging, great idea!

 
design by suckmylolly.com